Wednesday, February 24, 2010

R.I Teacher Firings

First the headline announced that all of the teachers Central Falls High School would be fired by year's end. Next the headline read "R.I Grad: It's not the teachers' fault". In between, within the articles, were statements that the state's powerful teachers' union would fight. Statistics listed in one of the articles stated among other things that:

  • Only 7% of 11th graders tested in the fall were proficient in math.
  • 33% were proficient in writing.
  • 55% were proficient in reading.
  • In 2008 only 52% graduated within 4 years and 30% dropped out.
If, as the R.I Grad stated, it's not the teachers' fault, then another statistic would be that 100% of the school age population is dumber than a box of rocks. Either that is the case or the school is full of a bunch of overpaid incompetents. That poses the question, are all the teachers' former Central High graduates. That could be the root of the problem.

The suggestion that the teachers put in some extra hours assisting students with no increase in pay, caused a walk-out by some students. The article quoted a 15 year old who was 1 of 4 who ran out a side door of the high school. These four are obviously at the top of their class in reading, they, after all, could read the exit sign. The teachers' union asked for more money. They want more money to do the job they are already being paid to do, and not accomplishing. Are they saying if you pay me more money I'll teach better? I've got it in me, but you don't pay me enough to do my best. That makes sense, I always enjoying paying the fellow to fix my car on the fourth attempt.

Oh well, it will probably all be played out in the courts. Given the high quality of education in R.I., I'm putting my money on the side that engages out of state lawyers.

No comments:

Post a Comment